Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Too Much Credibility

The other night, I was sitting around my parents' dinner table and said that while I was here in Utah, I was going to try to meet up with a friend from Jr. High, Emily, and meet her kids.  My parents said "Say hi to her," or "How's she doing these days?" and the like.  Sam, however, got really quiet, and in the same voice I use to tell her terrible news, she said softly, "Oh, Mom.  Uh, Emily died. I'm so sorry."
I was just voicing the words "Oh, no!  When did that happen?! What happened?" like a moron when my words were interrupted by the following train of thought...
"Wait a minute!  You're three. You don't even know Emily!  You don't know any of my old friends!  I'm not even sure you know what dying actually means.  Even if you did, where would you have heard that?  Are you on Facebook?"  It was then I realized that another friend of mine, Keley, passed away in June, and that must have been what she was thinking of.  I let Sam know that she was thinking of my friend Keley, but Emily was alive and well, and had a daughter about her age to play with.  Sam sighed and said "Oh good.  I'm happy Emily is okay."
I'm happy Emily is okay too.  I am not happy, however, that my first response to my three year old is just to take whatever she has to say as if she's a credible source of information!  When did I start buying whatever my preschooler tells me?  Why did it take so long for me to figure out that she couldn't have known what she was talking about?  Am I losing a step here, or am I just tired from my baby staying up late and my husband back in AZ unable to pitch in for the midnight shift?
I hope it's just the latter, and I further hope that any and all future embarrassing moments where I hand over way too much credibility to my kids do not happen in front of my parents to provide them with endless giggling.  I live to serve, Mom and Dad.  So glad you enjoyed that.

No comments: