Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Trouble with Narwhals

Sam has recently gotten a little obsessed with narwhals. I know, that's super weird, right?
But, there's one in Elf, and Sam is obsessed with Elf.
Every so often (and usually for no clear reason) she says "Bye, Buddy! Hope you find your dad!--Thanks, Mr. Narwhal!" until she finally realized she didn't know what a narwhal was and started asking about it. So we had a chat about narwhals. It mainly consisted of me telling her they were whales with a horn on their head like a unicorn, and they lived near the North Pole. Who am I kidding? That was the entirety of the conversation--like I know anything else about narwhals and am going to look it up for my billionth Sam question of the day. Honestly, until I looked them up on wikipedia for this post, I didn't even know if they were real or fictional (you know, like unicorns are fictional--bring on the fantasy fan hatred!).
At breakfast today, after yet another random Elf moment, Sam turned to me and said "Mom, do you know what the problem with narwhals is?"
No, I didn't. Really, I couldn't think of one single "problem" with narwhals. Shocking, but I don't think much about narwhals at all. They're probably endangered though, the cooler looking stuff is, it seems it's much more likely to be endangered...
She continued, "I bet when people are in the water, they stay away from narwhals, because they think the horn on their heads is just a big stick that a whale's going to use to poke them."
Aaaaahhh, yes. That is the trouble with narwhals. I bet they get confused with angry stick-toting whales all the time, and let's be honest, who wouldn't give one of those a wide berth? I know I would.

No comments: