Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Dad is the Rainmaker

The last several nights, Sam has been stuffy and waking up with a cough in the night. The problem is, her throat hurts and she's still half asleep, so she just panics, runs into our room crying, and that makes the coughing worse until she starts to gag. It's a game we played 10 times the night before last. Finally, at 1 am today, Daniel thought to put the humidifier in her room so she would (hopefully) not have the sore throat and stop the cycle. We could really use the sleep, and I'm glad he thought of it, because seriously, between me getting up a million times a night this pregnancy and Sam's visits, I'm sleeping in 30 minute spurts that just aren't cutting it!

Not only did Sam sleep soundly from 1am until 8 this morning (a major miracle because she wakes up by 7 no matter how little sleep she gets!), but I had forgotten she was out cold in our bed while Daniel set up the humidifier in her room, and she stayed asleep when we put her back to bed. Sam woke me up this morning by running into my room and excitedly yelling "Mom!!! Mom!! There is a blanket, a machine, and CLOUDS in my room!!! Come look! Clouds!"
I tried to explain to her that the machine wasn't making actual clouds, but mist to help her throat, and Daddy put it in there--she seemed convinced some Santa-like figure had visited. Finally, she made this totally shocked face and then stood there grinning. Then I figured out why--she now thinks her Daddy makes the clouds.
Now, I know this girl already thought the sun rose and set with her Dad, but now, apparently, she also thinks he creates the weather with his "machine." Oh well, there's time enough for her to observe our mistakes and figure out we're both painfully human. In the meantime, I hope Daniel enjoys being the bringer of clouds.

He should be riding high today--not only is he the mightiest dad in the world to Sam, but we found out yesterday that the new baby is a boy--he's getting a son. Not a bad 24 hours, I'd say!

2 comments:

Kym said...

AMAZING!!! I just wish I had something I could pass on. I've already given away all my baby boy stuff. Congrats!

Carly said...

Hey, no worries, uh we're still using your pack and play, remember. :) Besides, all I really need is a friend to tell me its normal when the kid pulls awful "boy" things!