Thursday, September 23, 2010

Well, okay, then. Carry on.

On Tuesday, Sam and I were reading books on the couch. I was feeling cuddly, so I said "Sam, would you like to come sit on my lap while we read?"
Sam looked at me, thought for a moment, and said, "No danks, Mommy. I just sit on my own butt."

Hmmm, I had nothing to say to that at all. On the one hand, I was thrilled that she said "no thanks"--how polite! On the other hand, I didn't even know she knew the word butt. On the third hand, she did use it properly and wasn't trying to insult anyone and be rude and it's not like it's a word we don't use. Finally, I got myself to stop laughing and said "Well, okay then, let's read."

Sometimes I wonder if Sam is really 2 1/2, or if she's like a really small six year old. Despite being around for every day of her life, I still wonder.

No comments: