Monday, May 2, 2011

Mom's Pearls of Wisdom part 3

My mom is dedicated.
She always had to work, but it was important for her to be home with us when we were home from school. Because of that commitment, she has worked some miserable jobs over the years--far below her skill level to accommodate her schedule, evening shifts, early morning shifts, babysitting for 12 hour days--just so she could do what she felt was right for our family.

It doesn't matter to me what each individual family situation is, or how families choose to work that out. Everyone makes choices in this life based on their own needs, and I won't question that. I feel blessed to be able to stay home with my children (even if it isn't what I had thought I wanted before I had kids). However, my mom's commitment has made me realize that if I had to make it work, I could and would do anything I had to to support my family. Hopefully, I could also do it without making my children question my love for them. I never wondered if my mom wanted to be with us, she got up and worked in the wee hours while we slept so she could be home in time for school to prove where her heart was. Now that we're older, she has a full-time job she adores, where she has become successful, and made a name for herself. She was clearly always capable of "much more" in the corporate world, she just realized that she wanted to mean much more to us instead.
I am so lucky that she put that off for so long, just for us. I am proud to say:
My mom is a worker bee.

No comments: