Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mom's Pearls of Wisdom part 7

My mom is paying it forward.

Not only is my mom a great mom, but she is a great grandma. I love to see her interact with my kids, and seeing how much they love her. Sam talks about her "Mack" all the time and asks when we will go visit them in Utah.

It cracked me up watching my mom prepare for being a grandmother. When I was pregnant with Sam, she spent months and months thinking about what she would like to be called as a grandma. She felt that she should pick her name because otherwise, the oldest grandkid sets the precedent for everyone else, and how fair is that? After thinking about it forever and running a lot of (truly awful) nicknames by me, she decided she wanted to be called "Grams."

Of course, when Sam was around a year old, she got it in her head that she wanted to call my mom "Mack." We don't know where it came from, but it was there, and Sam can be pretty adamant. She flatly refused to call her anything else. If we said "No, Sam, it's G-G-G-Grams!" She would respond "No! Ma-Ma-Ma-MACK!" So stubborn, that kid of mine. Where does she get it? Anyway, "Grams" thought it was so cute that her baby granddaughter came up with her very own pet name for her that she promptly accepted the change and was re-christened "Mack."
This taught me that one of the hilarious things about parenthood is that just when you think you've got it down and your kids are pretty well established, the next generation can still start throwing you curve balls. My mom is continuing to teach me to just "go with the flow." And she seems to be loving it. Sam (and Peyton) are loving it too.

We love you, Mack! And we miss you, but we're excited to visit soon. Besides, if we lived closer, Sam's teeth would all rot and fall out from all the candy you and dad slip her (even the stuff you think I can't see). Happy Mothers' Day!

1 comment:

Alison said...

My mom was very adamant about choosing her grandma name too, and my kids don't use the one she chose either. They didn't come up with something as cool as Mack, though.