Saturday, September 10, 2011

Genius McGee

Today, in the shower I suddenly couldn't see out of one eye.  Oh crap, I figure, my contact lens fell out of my eye!  So I finish showering, hop out, look in all corners of my eye looking to make sure it didn't just shift, decide it must have washed down the drain.  I grab a new left contact (my perscriptions are different), put in in my eye and start to go about my business.
Next thing I know, I'm blinking like crazy and something is coming out of my eye.  Holy cow, the other contact was in there all along!  Where was it hiding?  I have no idea but now it's falling out of the corner of my eye because this eyeball ain't big enough for the two of them!  I grab the contact lens case and take the old hide-and-go-seek lens out, because it caused this whole mess, and deserves to be banished.  I put it back in the case (unsure what else to do with it), and go about my day.

Later, while shopping at the mall, I realize I'm seeing things funny.  Especially distances, which look all wonky--not enough that I'd notice it right away, but something is off when I'm trying to read signs and stuff, things look like they're moving, unbalanced.  I close one eye and I can see perfectly.  I close the other eye and everything is fuzzy.  What's up!?  This is the new contact!  Why isn't it working?  It shouldn't be dirty at all, I distinctly remember grabbing a brand new left contact and why can't it just stay...
Whoops.  Maybe the problem is that it's actually my RIGHT eye that needed a new contact this morning.  The one with the stronger prescription.  Apparently, I can't tell left from right!
So now I'm back home, the stupid slippery beast who started everything is back in my eye after all, and I feel like a total moron. Plus, I have an open extra left contact just hanging out with nowhere to go (and since I just changed contacts last week, I don't need it for a while).
If it wasn't so stupid it's funny, I'd be more annoyed.
Go me!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I bet your bonus contact was hiding up under your top lid, right where the eyelid meets the eyeball (superior fornix if you're being fancy). I had a patient a few weeks ago who said "a bunch of contacts had fallen out," then when I flipped his upper lid I found FIVE of them tucked up there in the fornix. FIVE! I bet you feel better now, don't you?
:)

Carly said...

Thank you Sarah! Five! Yes, I feel much better now. How could you not notice five contacts, they would start to get bulky in there, would they not? Crack me up!