Thursday, September 22, 2011

Working the System

I am really looking forward to tomorrow morning.  Both my kids have to get flu shots.  Yea, double shots.  I know, I know, there is a currently a huge argument going on among all my readers about who will get to share our car ride home because it will be one happy vehicle.  You won't want to miss it.
Anyway, I made the mistake of telling Sam this morning, what would be happening tomorrow.  She was less than pleased.  Peyton didn't care, he was too busy trying to unplug all the lamps in the family room, particularly under the tables where I can't reach him well (in case you hadn't figured it out, he can now crawl independently).  After talking to her about the importance, and finally, promising her I would get my flu shot today so she could see me be brave too, she was slightly okay with it.  All right, that's a big fat lie.  She couldn't care less about me being brave, I also promised a slurpee.
Then I told her it was time to clip her fingernails.  Next up in the Sam's favorite things trifecta--sitting still for hours on end!  I wasn't trying to torture her this morning, I swear. I just noticed her nails were longer than mine, and as usual, full of dirt.  I asked her to come over and sit on my lap.
She started to head over and then changed her mind and looked at me and said "No."
Now, Sam knows not to talk to me like that, and this may sound odd, but I have a lot of experience with my kid disobeying me and blowing me off, but her heart just didn't seem in it.  It was weird, she was saying "no," but her tone was more like a question.  I shrugged off the weirdness, and I reminded her that she wasn't in charge and she wasn't allowed to say no to me when I ask her to do something.
She sighed and said "I know.  I guess I'm going to have to lose my trip to the doctor tomorrow.  And my flu shot."  Then she put on the lamest frowny face I have ever seen.  And I saw Carrie Underwood acting in Soul Surfer.
I really tried not to laugh, really I did.  I informed her that punishments are only meted out when I take away things she actually likes, and disobeying will not keep her from getting her flu shot.
Undeterred, Sam responded "Okay then.  I really LOVE getting my fingernails cut, though.  Do I lose that?"

Wow.  You've got to hand it to Sam, she really tried to work the system twice in less than 30 seconds (however unsuccessfully).  How can I not crack up at this child on a daily basis?  If only she would channel those powers for good, she'd save the world!

No comments: