Monday, September 26, 2011

Material Girl

As I dropped off Sam at preschool today, I pointed out that Owen was on his way to the door too.
Sam yelled "Mom!  Hurry up, get out of the car! I want to sit by Owen!"
This is not the first time I have heard about Owen.  I asked Sam if she has a little crush on Owen. 
"Yes, and we have to hurry up because I want to sit by him!  I want to sit by him forever! He is my best friend!" I had no idea the competition to sit near Owen was so fierce, but her teacher confirmed it for me at the door, all the girls want to sit next to Owen.  Sam wants to sit by him forever, which is what you really want in a man, because that pretty much sums up marriage--sitting next to someone forever.  In the car, in bed, in church, at school plays and other meetings.
Anyway, I told Owen's mom this after school, and the other moms chimed in too--"Oh, yeah, my daughter talks about Owen all the time!"  Owen, the ladies' man of the preschool.  What a stud.
On the ride home I asked Sam what she liked about Owen.  She told me she couldn't tell me, because it was "too hard" to talk about it, but eventually let it slip that he's very nice and friendly.  After a minute or two, she added "Yeah, Mom.  Owen is very nice.  But you know Niels?  Niels has some money."
I don't know if she meant play money or real money, or what that had to do with the price of eggs in China, but I'm a little horrified it came up at all.
It's Owen she wants to sit by forever, so I guess she's not a budding gold digger.  But, she noticed who has the bucks.
Hmmmm.

No comments: