Monday, August 15, 2011

Pennies on the Tracks

As a kid, I remember hearing that a single penny on the tracks could derail a train.  I don't think it's actually true and was probably just passed along to keep kids from doing dumb things like getting too close to trains to try to flatten pennies.  Another reason I don't know is because I am super neurotic and a worrywart and would never go anywhere near a moving train as a child or an adult to test the theory anyway.  Plus, I have really bad luck and even if in the history of ever a single penny has not once derailed a train, I would be the first person ever to do it, and then I would get sued and feel horrible the rest of my life.  Who needs that noise?  So, the point of this tangent is based on the (probably inaccurate) theory that a single penny can derail a train.
If there is one thing I have learned in parenthood, it's that a penny can derail the train.  Today was a penny day. 

It was all around a rough day. My family left this morning to go back to Utah.  I'm very close to my family and I get really sad when they leave, especially if I have no date in mind for our next visit.  Sam and I both cried all morning.  Emotions were running high and to top it off Sam didn't fall asleep until midnight last night, woke up at 6:15 to say goodbye to my parents, and unbelievably managed to have 3 hours of "quiet time" without caving into to a nap for one minute.  She was beyond exhausted, which can only mean one thing...

Massive tantrums about everything!!!!  Everything was a gigantic problem all evening long.  At one point, she threw a tantrum about the fact that she couldn't stop crying.  I kid you not.  It was rough.  Daniel got home from work, and without me asking or saying one word, he offered to make dinner.  I don't want to know how bad I must have looked to merit that.  So, it was a hard day, with a lot of hard things, but we had powered through.  Peyton was an absolute angel who napped extra to make up for his crazy sister, and we were cheering up at dinner, ready to be happy again.

We decided to go to a nearby store and look at their new Halloween stuff.  Sam loves Halloween stuff. I loved the thought of leaving the house (with adult help) after the day we'd had.  We got all ready to go, and were headed out the door, when Sam pranced out of the guest room and slammed the door behind her.  Daniel asked where Peyton's car seat was so he could buckle him in, and I said I had put it in the guest room, just to get it out of the hallway for the day.  It was then that he discovered Sam had locked the door before she shut it.  Apparently, she locked it to keep sharks safely inside and out of the rest of the house.
The guest room takes an actual key.  Not one of those little sticks, but an actual key like you would use for the front door.  Daniel grabbed the keys we got when we moved in, one was for the house itself, and the other wasn't.  We assumed it was for the indoor doors that use a key instead of a stick (there's three).  The key didn't work. The front door key didn't work. We found another key inside the garage when we moved in.  Maybe it was that one.  It wasn't.
The property management company didn't give us a key to the bedroom doors to our house!!!  It wouldn't have mattered much, because there's nothing in there we need, except for that car seat!  We can't take Peyton anywhere without it. Luckily, he wasn't already in it when she locked it, or we would have been in real trouble.  Sam has preschool in the morning, so it's not like I can sit around not going anywhere waiting for them to get us a key.  We don't know any of our neighbors, or anyone in the new ward that would have a rear-facing seat they aren't using.  When we called the management company to get the emergency number for repairs (which they said would be on the recording), it wasn't on the recording.  I wanted to use the emergency line because I think they should haul a locksmith out here and get the stupid thing fixed themselves, since they didn't actually ever give us the key!  Who would have thought we could lock ourselves out of an individual room.
I finally had the idea to call a friend from the old neighborhood and try to borrow an infant carseat so I could get Sam to preschool and possibly to the management company to pick up a key (if they have one).  We had to get a hold of someone right away, because we had to pick it up before Daniel had to leave for work at 6am, since one of us had to stay home with Peyton to go anywhere not in walking distance.  Sam went with Daniel to pick it up, because if I had to deal with one more hiccup, I thought my brain would explode. We got a seat, but we are still locked out of the room.


Hard to believe that a single flick of a lock could totally derail our evening like that.  Oh, life, you pesky little devil!

No comments: