Monday, August 29, 2011

Playing Favorites

The other morning, Sam informed me that "I am having a WONDERFUL day!"
I was thrilled.  You go, little one.  Enjoy your wonderful day.
Later in the day, I asked if it was still wonderful.
She scowled and said "No."
"What happened?"
"It isn't wonderful any more because you were so mean to me."
Ouch.  Of course, I had no idea what she was talking about, I thought the day had gone pretty smoothly.  So I said "When was I mean to you today? What are you talking about?"
She glowered and said "When I smacked my brother's face, you punished me."

Oh, brother.  That's right.  When my three year old takes on my 6-month-old physically, I always take his side, even at the expense of ruining Sam's day.
I am such a jerk about that.

The sad part is, I'm so constantly reminding Sam to be careful around her brother, making sure she doesn't accidentally (or purposely) injure him, or otherwise mess with him, that I didn't even remember this specific incident even on the same day.  I wish it was rare enough to ruin my whole day, but Sam is just too curious for Peyton's good.  "Okay, mommy, I not poke his eyes to see if they're squishy again."  Yep.

No comments: