Tuesday, August 2, 2011

To Daycare, or not to daycare...

Today we had to go to the bank, which happens to be next to a local daycare.  As this daycare has an outside playground, Sam asks every time we drive by, if she can please go to that park.  I then explain that it isn't a park, it's a private playground, and its only for the kids who go to that daycare.  Sam finally understands what daycare is (after many of these conversations), so today she told me, "that's the playground for the kids whose mommies or daddies go to work and they go to daycare, right?  But I stay with you during the day?"
I said "Yeah, that's right, mommy stays home to take care of you, so that's why you don't go to a daycare like that, but some kids do."
Then from the back, I hear Sam talking...
"Hmmm, I like that they have their own playground at daycare.  But...I also like spending time with my mommy.  BUT...Woody and Buzz go to daycare in Toy Story 3, and I really like Woody and Buzz!  But...I couldn't go to preschool at Miss Carly's if I was at daycare..."
She was debating with herself the pros and cons of daycare!  I tried to weigh in and say I loved spending time with her, and would be sad to leave her all day, but Sam cut me off and yelled "Mom!  Don't listen to me!  I'm just talking to ME!"
Whoops.  She was just discussing it with herself.  My bad.
Since I wasn't allowed to voice my opinion, I wonder when it would be appropriate to tell her that she doesn't actually get to pick whether she goes to daycare or not?  I guess if the debate comes out not in favor of staying with mom, I'll drop that bomb on her.

No comments: