Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Off one soapbox, onto a happy one

So everyone, sorry if I've been getting all political on you lately. This election just has me (and the rest of the country) all nuts. The posts are my way of getting all mavericky on y'all.
How does that "I'm a pepper" song go?
I'm a maverick,
She's a maverick,
Wouldn't you like to be a maverick, too?

I stand by everything I say, but I will now move on to a subject that will get less people mad. It's okay now, everyone can look again.
It's time for....(drumroll please)

Carly complains about crappy commercials!!!

Yay! That's right, I've relocated my lousy-commercial gripes from my now private family blog to the public blog. Because a lot of people who could care less what my kid looks like covered in rice cereal (adorable, by the way) liked to read those posts. Welcome to your new home!

Today's victim:
Toyota.

You know all those commercials with that super dumb guy?
The one who is on the radio as well as the TV?
In the most recent one, he's sniffing the cars to see "which ones are used?"
He has another where he asks the sales man if any of the cars "shoot lasers" because he's got some "coworkers he'd like to *zap*"?
In one of the earlier ones, he keeps calling the fix-it guy to come to his house so he can look at the guy's truck, or faking the repairman's truck is his to impress his father-in-law. In another, he sees his neighbors are getting ready for a trip and have "room for one more" so he rips off his robe to reveal himself in full beach garb including floaties. Shudder.

If you haven't seen any of these, you are so lucky. I'll never get the cheese out of my brain, no matter how much I bend over and smack my ear.

I hate this guy. Hate him. He creeps me out. If I were the father-in-law, I'd shoot him dirty looks too.

Beyond that, I honestly don't know what Toyota is trying to do here.
If these ads had a slogan that matched perfectly it would be "Complete morons love our cars."
Huh? What's the next line? "Wouldn't you like to be one of those morons?"
I don't get it. They are the ones painting this guy as a total boob, but he's the one pitching their brand. Wouldn't it be so much more effective if this guy was the pathetic Ford owner down the street? I thought carmakers were supposed to showcase their drivers as discerning, wise, street-savvy geniuses, who know how to shop for a car--not as the reject canidates for "Beavis and Butthead." Do any of the cars shoot lasers! Are they kidding me with this?

If your reading this, Toyota, I honestly hope you got a refund from your advertising firm. Next time, call me. I'm way cheaper and I won't pitch "Merv the Perv" meets "Dumb and Dumber." I promise.

No comments: